A fun combination of 90s throwbacks and cooler weather cottagecore are dominating Fall trends right now, and this can feel a little intimidating when trying to pick up some new fun pieces that also won’t feel completely out of style within a couple of months. Here are 6 Fall fashion trends I’m seeing in stores and out in the wild, and some ideas on how you can incorporate them into your wardrobe in ways that still feel like you!
90s Silhouette Denim
You know what? As long as extreme low-waisted pants stay on the runways and not in the stores, I’m okay with some aspects of the 90s and early 2000s coming back. The 90s silhouette or Mom jean has been growing more popular over the last several months, and with more options, there are ways to make this feel cute. The baggier leg might seem unflattering at first glance, but there are so many ways to make it a real mood.
Pair with a smart collared shirt tucked in and a leather jacket or blazer, and statement boots. Or for something a little more effortless and casual, wear bright classic sneakers (like Vans) and a French-tucked plain t-shirt.
If you’re a little freaked out by the shape of the leg, remember that cuffing can be your friend! Do a significant structured folded cuff to show off cute shoes, or a relaxed rolled cuff to generally bring in the jeans a little bit more at the ankles.
- (Pictured) ASOS Reclaimed Vintage the ‘91 Mom Jeans in Washed Black ($51)
- (Pictured) Good American Good ‘90s ($179)
- AE Stretch Mom Jean ($49.95)
Oversized Flannel / Shirt Jackets
This throwback look is EVERYTHING and I’m so glad there are some updated styles to choose from! A warm shirt jacket is the perfect outerwear piece for running quick errands, going out for brunch, or any other time you want to get cozy but not throw on the full parka or wool coat. This can be super casual, or elevate with a faux leather skirt, high-quality leggings, or a fitted dress and tights.
- (Pictured) Everlane Oversized Shirt Jacket ($98)
- (Pictured) And Now This Women’s Cropped Plaid Shirt Jacket ($59)
- Bardot Checked Flannel Shirt Jacket ($149)
Sweaters, dresses, tops… everything seems to come in a waffle knit right now. But this can come with a vibe that feels too pajama-y in some pieces, so you want to hunt for certain factors to help elevate this trend a little bit more: heavier material (cotton!!), visually interesting cut, and opt for solid colors over multicolored material or patterns so the visual interest is focused on the texture.
- (Pictured) Pact Honeycomb Knit Crew Sweater ($100)
- (Pictured) French Connection Millie Mozart Waffle Knit Sweater ($98)
- Uniqlo Waffle Crew Neck Long Sleeve Dress ($19.90)
Big texture, big buttons, and slightly cropped: these are the cardigans you can pair with your high-waisted denim, joggers, dresses… seriously, the right colors and fit will become a staple in your wardrobe. Avoid trendy patterns, but that doesn’t mean you’re totally stuck with neutrals either!
- (Pictured) & Other Stories Relaxed Asymmetrical Knit Cardigan ($149)
- (Pictured) Cece V-Neck Cardigan ($79)
- & Other Stories Voluminous Rib Knit Cardigan ($129)
- Uniqlo Souffle Yarn V-Neck Cropped Cardigan ($39.90)
Straight Leg Pants (Pants, not jeans!)
Yes, I had to separate pants from jeans because there are so many ways you can go with this. Straight leg sweatpants are a thing and I’m actually kind of here for it? Comfy, loose-fitting but flattering, and there’s an abundance of matching sets out there to create a super cute look. For an edgy going out look, try looking for straight-leg faux leather pants. These are WAY more flattering than their slim leg counter parts, since it shows off the shine of the faux leather and gives you more structure, if you’re like me and past faux leather pants/leggings feel like every bump and curve is on display, and not in a flattering way.
- (Pictureed) And Now This Women’s Straight Leg Sweatpants ($39)
- (Pictured) Vince Camuto Faux-Leather Pants ($99)
- Levi’s Surplus Straight-Leg Pants ($69.50)
Cottagecore vibes that bring even more drama. This is such a great way to get a flattering fitted look while staying super comfy and provides options if you have a larger chest and need some room for forgiveness. I’m loving both mini and midi styles I’m seeing out there for dresses, and tops as well!
- French Connection Boza Smocked Dress ($138)
- (Pictured) JessaKae Wandering Willoughby Dress ($70)
- Madewell Lucie Elbow-Sleeve Smocked Midi Dress ($128)
Listen: it’s all about learning how to make the seasonal fashion trends that come and go work for you, and that’s a journey in itself. If you’re looking for a more in-depth guide on developing your personal style, definitely check out my book “We Don’t Do ‘Just Okay’ Anymore”, or read more about the book in another blog post.