Mexico/resorts make me tap into sexy, sensual energy. The feeling of sunshine and the heat encourage clothing that is minimal in terms of its fabric, but at the same time, it leaves quite the impact. The temperature is hot, and so are you. Your color palette is BOLD – hot pinks, bright reds, electric blues, and embrace patterns. To me, this is a whole vibe to rock, so packing for a tropical resort vacation might feel a little different for your usual color palette.
Here’s what you need to include:
- A hat to help protect your skin and your hair from the sun
- SUNSCREEN, pack it in your suitcase before you leave
- Don’t be like Susan and say “I’ll just buy some when I get there”, and then end up getting sunburned for your first three days in California, and wait until you’re in the literal desert (Joshua Tree), before you finally buy some (and bring after sun lotion too, so you don’t have to buy that too)
- Sandals that are comfortable for walking around all day
- Strappy heeled sandals or a wedge for gettin’ fancy for dinner
- Jewelry – bold earrings and lightweight necklaces
- Bold accessories are fun for a resort vacay, but since you’ll be feeling hot, you probably won’t want to feel your jewelry actually touching your skin if you’re sweating
- Sunglasses – multiple pairs, because you won’t want to leave your room without one
- Have a pair in your purse and another in your pool/beach bag
- A clutch and a cross body bag
- Think a nighttime bag and a day time bag
- Bathing suits
- 3 – 5 bathing suits
- Why so many? You don’t want to be forced to wear a damp bathing suit if you want to go to the pool, the beach, and the hot tub at different times throughout one day
- 3 – 5 bathing suits
- Some kind of bathing suit coverup that at least covers your shoulders and ideally also covers your chest too
- Your chest and shoulders are where the majority of skin damage occurs due to most styles of bikinis, bathing suits, and summer tops
- Dresses, jumpsuits, rompers
- Because when you don’t feel like putting clothes on or thinking about what to wear, something that is complete as one piece makes everything easier
Looking for a guide to packing for a beach vacation? There’s a capsule wardrobe post for that t
Taking another type of vacation?
I have packing guides and checklists for all kinds of trips. Check out the other posts in this series!