When you’re traveling somewhere with an unpredictable weather forecast, it can make packing feel daunting. It’s easy to feel like you have to pack your entire closet, because you want to have so many options. Allow me to reassure you, you don’t have to pack everything, you just have to pack the right things. Layers are going to be major when you’re putting outfits together. You’ll want to have a lightweight jacket for a cooler rainy day, and a cozy sweater or sweatshirt to throw on at night. Check the weather forecast the week before you leave, so you can get a better idea of what to expect. You can also Google “weather in (your travel destination) in (month you’re going)” to get a sense of the typical day and night temperatures.
Some destinations that come to mind for trips you might be planning for this summer include all the popular New England beaches, Colorado, and the Pacific Northwest, but you can also use this guide for planning trips year-round!
- Comfortable shoes for walking and possibly hiking
- Closed toe shoes like a cute sneaker will help, especially if it gets a little rainy
- A lightweight water resistant jacket (a small, compact umbrella is also great for an unpredictable rainy day)
- A cozy sweater/sweatshirt that you could wear on the airplane and also to curl up with at night or first thing in the morning, before the temperatures heat up
- 2-3 pairs of pants
- Jeans and joggers are good versatile options
- Workout pants/leggings for a hike
- Lightweight tops
- Depending on the weather forecast, you might want more long sleeve as opposed to short sleeve or tank tops
- 1 necklace or pair of earrings that go with everything
- 1 pair of thicker hiking socks
- Even if hiking definitely isn’t in your itinerary, these are also great to have on a chilly evening or to bring your feet some relief after a long day of walking
- Bonus items: think a day trip to explore a cute town or going out for a more casual dinner
- T-shirt dress
- Denim jacket – you can also use this as an alternate cover up for hiking
- Baseball cap
- Comfy sandals
If you need recommendations on the essentials like a light rain jacket, here are a few of my picks!
Taking another type of vacation?
I have packing guides and checklists for all kinds of trips. Check out the other posts in this series!